. From the paper, begin your reading on page 14 with the first full paragraph and end the reading after the completion of the first paragraph on page 17. Once all reading is complete, respond to the following items:
1. Why was T. Hall singled out for scrutiny?
2. How did T. Hall’s neighbors respond to the gossip that this person’s sex was unclear?
3. What authority did women claim in assessing the situation?
4. What authority did men claim?
5. What does the struggle to mark T. Hall’s gender identity suggest about the structure of community life and the roles of men and women in colonial America?